Thursday, September 10, 2015

Money Crashers: What Is Your Carbon Footprint

My latest post for Money Crashers is a complete guide to your carbon footprint: what it is, why it matters, how to measure it, and how to shrink it. I realized while working on another Money Crashers piece that we were throwing the term "carbon footprint" around casually in our articles without ever having published one that actually explains, in detail, just what that means. So this is my attempt to rectify that oversight.

Regular readers of this blog are no doubt well acquainted with this topic already, but you might still be interested in some of the details I cover in this piece. For instance, I provide links to five different carbon calculators, explaining what information each one gathers and why that makes some of them more reliable than others. I found it quite interesting to see how widely the estimates from different calculators varied; when I put in the numbers for our household, I got figures for our carbon footprint ranging from 6 to 17 tons (which prompted my editor to ask whether these numbers were so varied as to be completely useless).  If you're curious to see how your footprint measures up, check out the full article: What Is Your Carbon Footprint – How to Calculate & Reduce It

No comments: