Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Meet our tenants

Although our house is a modest one, we do have, at present, a few tenants sharing it with us.  Take a look:


They're right outside our kitchen door, on top of the light fixture, which means that for the past week or so we haven't been able to turn on that light (for fear of overheating the nest) or go out that door (for fear of scaring off the mama bird).  This was not my idea, by the way.  I think if they aren't even paying us rent, then our convenience should take priority over theirs.  But my big tough husband appears to have a soft spot for little baby birdies.

Anyway, it may not be a problem for long, because it's amazing how fast these little guys grow.  I could swear that two weeks ago, those little birds hadn't even hatched yet, and as you can see, they're still wee nestlings in this picture I took just two days ago.  But today I spotted two of them perched on the edge of the nest, and one of them flew away when it saw me coming (bonking its head on the awning in the process, but it didn't seem too fazed by that).  So perhaps within another week or so, we'll have the house to ourselves again.

No comments: