Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Money Crashers: How Stores Trick You Into Buying & Spending More

Some of my favorite articles I've written for Money Crashers are the ones that deal with the psychology of money. For instance, I really enjoyed writing my piece on happiness economics, and I was very pleased with the way it turned out. I feel like I did a good job of exploring a subject that a lot of people don't know about and showing why it's so interesting. Likewise, I felt like my article on cognitive biases was both entertaining and informative, even if it hasn't attracted a lot of views or shares.

So I'm quite happy with my latest Money Crashers article, which explores the psychological tricks retailers use to push your spending triggers and get you to spend more money than you planned. Just to whet your appetite, here's a preview of the questions you'll find answers to in this piece:
  • Why are most stores set up in a way that encourages you to turn right when you walk in?
  • Why are shopping carts are so much bigger today than they used to be?
  • Why do supermarkets put staple foods, such as bread and milk, way at the back of the store?
  • Why does it seem like just when you've figured out where to find everything at your favorite store, they reorganize the aisles?
  • Why does Victoria's Secret offer a $1 million bra every year that they know nobody is going to buy?
  • How can it possibly be a good deal for stores to offer free samples or free gifts with a purchase?
  • Why do prices at some stores end in $.99, while other stores have round dollar amounts?
  • Why are the salespeople in high-end boutiques so rude?

If you've ever wondered about any of these perplexing questions, now's your chance to learn the answer. Just check out the article here: How Stores Trick You Into Buying & Spending More.

No comments: