Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Hershey update

This just in: since my last post about the difficulty of finding more sustainable treats for Halloween, I have received word that Hershey has followed M&M/Mars in pledging to get 100 percent of its cocoa from sustainable sources by the year 2020. So as from today, my boycott of Hershey is officially over—although I still went with M&M/Mars products for my own Halloween handouts. Their deadline for sustainably sourcing their chocolate is the same as Hershey's, but they have a two-year head start and are already more than 20 percent of the way toward their goal, so I figure that makes them 20 percent more moral (or, to put it another way, less evil) than Hershey. Plus, as I may have mentioned before, I just happen to like little Snickers bars.

2 comments:

Doug Bonar said...

Will Hershey source thirty wax from a fair trade source? That seems to be an important ingredient by taste.

Amy Livingston said...

Hey, I said that I wasn't boycotting it anymore, not that I was going to start eating it by choice.