Thursday, September 3, 2020

Money Crashers: 18 Sustainable Fashion Brands for Recycled or Ethical Clothing

Back in April, Money Crashers published an article of mine on building a green, sustainable wardrobe on a budget. This article was one of a pair, split off from an earlier piece on sustainable fashion I'd written back in 2010. It covered the basics of what makes fashion sustainable (including fabric choices and treatment of workers) and some general tips on how to afford it (research brands, understand labels, focus on investment pieces, shop sales, and buy secondhand for the ultimate one-two punch of eco-friendliness and affordability). The second piece, which covered specific sustainable brands, was supposed to follow shortly.

And so it did, if by "shortly" you mean "within five months." Here it is at last, covering both affordable green brands (defined as those that sell most items for $100 or less, though they're significantly pricier than fast fashion) and "splurge-worthy" brands that might find a place in your closet with just one or two fabulous pieces.

A personal confession: I don't personally have any pieces from any of these brands in my closet. I do most of my sustainable shopping at thrift stores, and while I would not be averse to investing $100 or more on a piece that was really built to last, it has to be a piece that I really love and will wear often. And sadly, none of these brands quite ticked that box for me. Some (mostly the footwear brands) don't have anything in my size; some don't fit my style; some don't include any pieces with features that are must-haves for me, like pockets on pants. And while a few of them have some pieces I like, I just don't need any of them at the moment — and buying stuff you don't need isn't exactly sustainable.

So, for the time being, I'll stick with my closet full of thrift-store buys. But when I'm ready for my next new pair of jeans, I'll know where to shop.

18 Sustainable Fashion Brands for Recycled or Ethical Clothing

No comments: