Thursday, January 20, 2022

Money Crashers: Two new shopping articles

We interrupt this series of Thrift Week posts to bring you a quick update on two recent articles of mine at Money Crashers — both about shopping.

The first focuses on discount grocery stores. It covers two types of stores: salvage grocers, which sell goods rejected or discarded by other grocery stores, and limited-assortment grocers, which keep their prices down by offering a smaller selection. I have little experience with the former, but plenty with the latter; Trader Joe's, Aldi, and Lidl have all been part of my regular shopping rotation at different times, and shopping at these stores is probably my number-one strategy for keeping my grocery bills down. The article goes into the details of how these stores work, their pros and cons, and what specific shopping strategies to use when you shop there.

Discount Grocery Stores: Are They Worth the Savings?

The second is about Costco membership. This is an issue on which I've gone back and forth before finally settling on becoming a member, so I feel like I know a lot about the pros and cons of joining. In this article, I use my own experience and knowledge I've gleaned from others to identify the top deals that can pay for a Costco membership on their own, as well as the ones that aren't worth the cost of admission.

Is a Costco Membership Worth It? – 13 Reasons to Consider One

No comments: